Saturday, April 10, 2010

Is Wal-Mart Good for America

Wow. This is a great question. I am a bargain shopper and like to pay less for products that I use. I think we all do. We love lower prices. With this current economy we all need to ensure that our hard earned money is being spent in the wisest ways possible.

I knew that companies all over the country were outsourcing their products to China because of the cost of labor. I did not realize how much Wal-Mart had to due with the decision for these companies to outsource their labor over seas. This is very troubling for me to hear. I think that this company has gotten to big and has developed to much control over the market place. By them “bullying” these companies to manufacture products overseas so that they can sell them for less and make a bigger profit should be looked at by the government. I know this would be a touchy subject because of democracy and the freedoms that we have in the country, but how is this type of bullying any different then that on the school ground.

Now that all these companies have sent the manufacturing overseas we can not get away from purchasing things made in china. The products in Target, Kmart and Walmart are all made from the same companies located overseas. So even if everyone would boycott Wal-Mart, we are still buying products not made in America.

I am not buying the argument that Wal-Mart is making everyone in the United States more profitable by selling items cheaper. I would rather pay more for an item that is made in the united states and do without certain things until I have saved up enough money for those special things like a new T.V.

Here is just a thought. With the majority of the manufacturing jobs being shipped overseas, farms closing because they can’t operate due to financial reasons what will Americans do to make a living. We all can’t have office jobs, even those are being outsourced. How many times have you called the help desk for a computer company and talked to someone over seas. Another thought is what happens if the workers in China decide that they deserve raises? Where will the new factories be built?

In closing I want to re-emphasize that I do like low prices, but I don’t like taking jobs away from American people. No matter how you look at it, saving money in the store does not make up for a 40k a year job that is lost due to outsourcing.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more about paying more for American made products. And you are right, it is impossible for everyone in this country to work in an office. With so many areas of our country still rooted in agriculture, we must find a way to sustain them before they disappear completely as they have in suburban areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill: Great posting! I completely agree that even if we were going to boycott Walmart, the problem of MADE IN CHINA is so extensive that it would not make a difference to our economy. And, it's especially important, as you mentioned, that agriculatural markets are protected in the form of Government assistance or we will have other issues to include food shortages and imports that are grown and chemically treated based on other Country's oversight/management. I always buy USA produce for fear of foreign chemicals and never buy foreign meat for the same reason. The Walmart debate is a fascinating one, but it is their bullying; lack of fair competition; and unfair treatment of its workforce that includes discrimination, which worries me most. Thanks for your insightful comments--excellent posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of us have been raised to buy American, and many of try to do that. The problem is that it is not always possible. Sometimes, we assume we are buying something made in the USA, and really it is not 100%. For instance if you buy an American car, there are inevitable parts that were made oversees, and recently this practice has put American car part manufacturers out of business. If we want to buy American products, not only may we have to pay more, but may have to do some extensive research to find out what we are actually buying.

    ReplyDelete