I believe that society and the world is secularizing. This is evident in every day life. Let’s take a look at the Christian faith since this is the one that I know the best. There are a lot of aspects of the faith that are being waived or modified so that it does not offend people living in today’s social norms. When I say this I do not want to offend anyone, but if you believe in what the bible says and teaches then it needs to be followed. I hear so often that if the bible was written today it would allow for premarital relationships because this is what the times are saying.. I would have to strongly disagree. I believe that the reason they are saying this is because this is how these people are living their lives and don’t want to feel guilty about their actions. People are manipulating religions, any religion, so that they don’t have to feel bad about their actions or to try to ensure they have support for their agenda.
Lets look at the social aspect of church. When I was growing up there was a lot of help from everyone in the congregation. This ranged from child care, teaching classes and participating in choir and other activities that were sponsored by the church. I have noticed a steep decline in participation in activities at church. They are constantly asking for help in the nursery and teaching our children. It is the same people that are constantly volunteering for these tasks and are getting burnt out on them. It is almost like people think that there is nothing in it for them so why should they volunteer their time. This is a direct reflection on the morals and values of today’s society.
I have noticed that the congregation swells enormously for those who practice symbolic religion. During the major holidays Christmas and Easter, there are people that I have never seen before. It is like they know the importance of these days and know that they should be in church.
Earlier chapters talked about racism and prejudice against others of opposite races and ethnic backgrounds. Why is it that we forbid Christian students from praying at the flag pole before school or even before they eat. But when students who are Muslim want to pray they are allowed to. This does not seem right to me. This country was founded on the principle of freedom of religion and this should be the case no matter what your religious background. Sociologically speaking I think it is interesting to see how people respond to certain religious ideas and privileges, but as an American I find that it is very scary to think about where we will be in the next 10 - 20 years concerning our freedoms.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you unfortunatelly, people interest in not God anymore it will be money and how to make more money, leaving behind the importance of religion and God in our lives. Like you said Christian students should have the same rights to pray in public like other religions would do.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with you that the U.S. is becoming more secular. I think that there is not as much pressure to "do the right thing" as there used to be, because of the increased variability in our society, and, in turn, the increased options of what "the right thing" actually entails. I think both positive and negative things can be associated with this, in that people are more accepting of differences, but also a decrease in church attendance, as you noted.
ReplyDeleteBill: Great posting and I agree with everything including Meghan and Geovanna's remarks. I have a close friend who has been a faithful member of the Byzantine Catholic Church. She recently reported that after 30 years, membership is on the steep decline. As you noted so well, people are begged to volunteer and spend time supporting Church activities. But, I suspect that will continue in the near term--people are so distracted by school; commutes; and family. I have so many things going on every week that attending Church on Sunday isn't something that I regularly do--but I still have faith and religious beliefs that I practice. But, like many other Americans--my beliefs are customized in a sense--so I also practice symbolic religion. As you noted, Churches will do whatever it takes to modify their their sermons; dress codes; and schedules to maintain Church membership or else they must close. You've touched on some great information--I agree with everything you've posted in this thread. Excellent work! Terry
ReplyDelete